How can a student make a great first impression on a job or internship application?
Whether you are applying for a job or internship, first impressions are extremely important.Do your homework!
1. Research the business’s website so that you can comment on why you want to work there.
2. Study the job description and think about how their company matches your interests and how your skills could be helpful.
3. On the application, use words from the job description that apply to your skills.
4. Have someone else look over your application to make sure there are no grammatical errors. Be brief and to the point.
Preparing for the Workplace Interview:
1. Role-play first with a parent or friend, thinking about questions you may be asked.
2. Plan what you will wear ahead of time, dressing professionally in “business casual.”
3. Arrive early and make sure your cell phone is completely turned off.
4. Look your interviewer in the eye, smile and give them a firm handshake.
5. Now is your time to shine by saying at one point “I noticed on your website that….xyz.” Your interviewer will be impressed that you took the time to research their business.
6. At the end they will most likely say, “Do you have any questions?” Make sure that you are prepared with a few, either practical questions about the job or questions that struck you when you looked over their website.
7. Take the person’s business card and follow-up with a brief thank you email.